Five things you never knew about Chinese National Day
1) Chinese National Day (国庆节 Guóqìng jié)…
…is celebrated on October 1st every year to commemorate the founding of People’s Republic of China.
2) Although the Chinese Independence Day was actually on Sept. 21 1949, in December 1949…
…the Chinese Government passed the Resolution on the National Day of the People’s Republic of China, declaring that 1 October is the National Day of China.
3) The 7-day holiday from Oct. 1st to 7th is called “Golden Week”…
…the legal holiday is 3 days but in an attempt to create consecutive days of holiday time, people are often required to work on a weekend day for getting a mid-week working day off. This way they get the same number of working days and holidays, but the holidays are blocked together.
4) Since the weather is generally pleasant, during this week Chinese people go traveling around the country and families make long journeys to visit relatives…
…if you want to travel during the “Golden Week”, keep in mind that this weeks airplane tickets are more expensive, train tickets can be tough to find and hotel rooms are in short supply.
5) Traditionally, the festivities begin with the ceremonial raising of the Chinese national flag in Tiananmen Square in the capital city of Beijing…
…public places and squares are decorated in a festive theme and portraits of leaders (mostly Mao Zedong) are publicly displayed.
Chinese National Day – FAQ’s
Chinese National Day is celebrated on October 1st every year.
Chinese National Day is used to commemorate the founding of People’s Republic of China.
During Golden Week (October 1st-7th), Chinese generally like to travel and enjoy the 7 day break outside of their working city. If not, they will go home and visit their families.
Want more from LTL?
If you wish to hear more from LTL Mandarin School why not join our mailing list. We give plenty of handy information on learning Chinese, useful apps to learn the language and everything going on at our LTL schools! Sign up below and become part of our ever growing community!