We are big on Mandarin Immersion. LTL stands for Live the Language and our Homestay Program is the literal meaning of this.
Staying with a Chinese family throws you right into the heart of real China. Experiencing so many different things you cannot replicate elsewhere. The food is sublime, the families are incredibly welcoming and you will be sure to live in comfort. We select our homestay families carefully to ensure our students have the best experience with our Shanghai Homestays.
Joining the Homestay program in Shanghai is the quickest way to learn Chinese alongside our Shanghai Individual Chinese classes.
You will be thrown in situations that are sometimes tough to overcome, but there is always a way around the language barrier, whether it be hand gestures, an online dictionary app or quite simply persistence and perseverance.
Our students tend to stay friends with their Shanghai Homestay families long into the future such is the bonds that are created between student and family. It’s a truly unique chance to experience China like you’ve never seen it before. A chance which 80% of our students take up.
Apartments and Location
Our Host Family apartments are all cozy, modern places to live in China. You have full access to all kitchen and bathroom facilities as well as your own private bedroom and WiFi. Bills are all included in the cost of the Homestay Program.
In terms of location, our homestay’s range from 30 minutes to 60 minutes journey time to our Shanghai School. On your first day at LTL school your homestay will bring you to school so you don’t get lost. Be aware of the journey whether it be by foot, bike or metro so you know the way back. We can always help you at school if you need.
Useful Homestay Information
- Complete Beginners – Don’t fear. This may seem incredibly daunting. Moving in with a family who you don’t know and cannot communicate with. However, your family knows how to communicate with students, they are experienced and have done this process many, many times. Jumping into the deep end will make such a difference to your Chinese ability going forward.
- Dietary needs – Please do speak to us if you require any specific dietary options. This is crucial when matching you with the right family.
- Gifts – Some students like to bring a small gift from their home country. This is a great way to get off on the right foot with your family. Guanxi (关系) is a very real and important thing in China and relates to relationships between people and networks. A gift might just be the best way to gain some early points with your family!
- Our YouTube Channel – You will find various videos from our students talking about their experiences at LTL. Watching these is a great way to gain a first hand report on what our students think of our Homestays and some useful pointers for new students.
- Further details – Refer to our FAQ’s below or chat to our Student Advisor who will tell you everything you need to know. We can also put you in touch with alumni Homestay students. This is a great way to put your mind at ease and get a first hand report on Shanghai Homestays.
Shanghai Homestay Pricing (Chinese Yuan)
|Number of Weeks
||Breakfast & Dinner Homestay
|| +2,120 / wk
||489 / night
The table below shows a full list of prices for our Host Family program in Shanghai.
All prices are shown in Chinese Yuan (CNY).
You can stay for as long as you wish, the longer you sign up, the greater the discount.
For further information on alternative currencies or any other queries please do contact us.