Become fluent in Chinese at a high school in Shanghai and experience something truly special. Be a part of one of the world's thriving cities.
HIGH SCHOOL IN CHENGDE
Become part of a high school in Chengde for the ultimate immersive experience and a sure fire way to enhance your Mandarin skills like never before.
Chengde is home to very, very few foreigners. In fact the only ones there are LTL students and we purposely make sure that always remains very few.
After school, live with a Chinese host family and experience 24/7 Mandarin.
- Chengde City High School
- Established in 1998
- 2000 Students
- Accept students between 13-16
- Homestay accommodation for international students.
- Accept students for 2 semesters
- Daily schedule – 07:30–17:30
Something that can only be done Living The Language in China with LTL.
Chengde City High School
All Chinese – Chengde City High School is a fully Chinese Junior High School. Full exposure to Mandarin will be experienced.
Ideal Location – Located in Chengde City Centre. Our local organizer will be in touch with students all the time.
Recipe For Success
24/7 Chinese – Speak Chinese at school, speak Chinese after school at your host family. The perfect recipe.
Support from LTL – Our team in Chengde are locals and know the city and everything about Chengde.
Chengde City High School – Quick Facts
- Founded in 1998
- Approx. 2000 students
- Located in Chengde City Centre
- Chinese Junior High School
- Total Chinese language immersion, limited English on Campus
- Students with no previous Chinese knowledge are also welcome to apply
Chengde – What is the City like?
Chengde is all about real and proper Chinese Immersion.
Far smaller than Beijing and Shanghai and home to the most standard Mandarin spoken in the whole of China. A beautiful city which lies roughly 3 hours north of Beijing by car, based in Hebei province.
In Chengde you will experience real Chinese culture. People dancing in groups at local parks, playing cards on the street and sharing a food and drink together on their tiny stools. This is what China is all about.
No big skyscrapers but endless beauty whilst is topped by the Chengde Summer Mountain Resort where you could hike and explore the scenery for days on end!
Chengde is where you want to be if you want to increase you Mandarin level as fast as possible due to the fact little to no English is spoke throughout the whole city.
The pace of life is slower compared to China’s big hitters. The environment and air is therefore also more desirable with surrounding mountains, winter skiing and summer hikes.
High School in Chengde – Key Information
All classes are taught in Chinese. This is the same for all Chinese high schools.
Chengde is a completely immersive destination, so this is very different to for example Shanghai or Beijing. There will be barely any other foreign students at the school and in fact almost no other foreigners at all in the city.
In a city like Shanghai people will be much more accustomed to western traditions. Chengde will definitely be quite a culture shock
The aim there is to immerse students completely into Chinese culture and to avoid having foreign students hanging out together.
Before going to Chengde we strongly recommend taking part in a language preparation month to give them a head-start with Chinese. Speak to us for more details about this.
All Chinese classes with LTL in Chengde are taught 1-on-1 for maximum exposure.
High School in Chengde – Sample Week
Below is a rough schedule as to how lessons are set out at our High School in Chengde.
|12:00||NOON – BREAK||NOON – BREAK||NOON – BREAK||NOON – BREAK||NOON – BREAK|
|15:00||Chinese||Geography||Extra Curricular Activities||Extra Curricular Activities||Physical|
High School in Chengde – Prices and Starting Dates
|One Semester||74,933 CNY|
|Two Semester||128,649 CNY|
|Upgrade Single Room*||17,500 CNY|
NOTE – *Accommodation is already included. You will live with a Chinese family in a shared room, with maximum 45 minutes travel time to the high school. WIFI, air-con, heating and all other bills are already included. However, if you wish to upgrade to a single room the cost is 17,500 CNY.
|Season||Start Dates||End Dates|
|Spring Term 2023||20 Feb 2023||23 Jun 2023|
|Fall Term 2023||1 Sep 2023||13 Jan 2024|
|Spring Term 2024||25 Feb 2024||12 Jul 2024|
|Fall Term 2024||1 Sep 2024||15 Jan 2025|
Note: Minor changes in the dates are possible, as the Education Ministry sometimes adjusts school starting dates by a few days. We will let you know of any changes with you in advance as much as possible.
POSSIBLE ADD ONS
- Preparation month in Beijing: 4 weeks Group class 20 hr/wk= 10,235 CNY
- Preparation month in Beijing: 4 weeks Homestay half (breakfast and dinner) single room = 12,262 CNY
- 1-on-1 weekend Chinese classes: 20,469 CNY (80 hours) or 10,753 CNY (40 hours)
- Single room upgrade: 17,500 CNY per semester (upgrade subject to availability)
- High School Tuition and Placement
- Homestay Accommodation half board – Breakfast & dinner
- Please note: Standard accommodation can be shared
- 24/7 Support from the LTL team
- Legal Guardian Program for the duration of the stay
- Visa invitation
- Orientation Day with our LTL Local Organizer in Chengde
- DHL Service for Visa Letters from LTL
- Survival Kit (includes Airport Pick up and train from Beijing to Chengde)
- Airport Drop off (shared car from Chengde homestay to Beijing Airport)
- School uniform: 350 CNY
- Books: approx. 200 CNY (1 Semester)
- Spring Festival Break accommodation
- Visa fees (visa issuance)
- International Health Insurance
- International Flights (your location to China)
High School in Chengde || FAQs
All our FAQs for our High School programs are listed on our High School in China page. Please visit there to get your questions answered.
If you have further queries please just speak to us and we’ll resolve any other questions you may have.