Learn Chinese with LTL – Hallowe’en Special
Hallowe’en night is coming! This is the perfect time to talk about masks, costumes, and monsters! But do you know how to talk about all of these things in Chinese? Here you will find some typical, wicked words and phrases you’ll need to talk about Halloween in Chinese!
Hallowe’en Vocabulary with LTL Mandarin School
Do you know how to say Halloween in Chinese? The Chinese word for Halloween is 万圣节 (wànshèngjié), literally “Ten Thousand Saints Festival”.
According to the tradition, kids put on a Costume 服装 (fúzhuāng) and wear a Halloween Mask 面具 (miàn jù) and knock on the door of the houses in the neighborhood asking Trick or Treat? 不给糖就捣蛋 (bùgĕitáng jiùdăodàn) literally “if you don’t give me the candies, I will play a trick on you”!
One of the most popular Halloween traditions is to carving pumpkins 刻南瓜 kè nánguā. Jack-o-Lantern 南瓜灯(nánguādēng) literally “南瓜 Pumpkin + 灯 Light”, is one of the symbols of this celebration.
And now, let’s learn some of the most common creatures that are associated with Halloween…
- Zombie = 僵尸 (jiāngshī). “僵 Numb + 尸 Corpse”
- Ghost =鬼魂 (guǐhún). “鬼 Ghost + 魂 Soul”
- Vampire =吸血鬼 (xīxuèguǐ). “吸 Suck + 血 Blood + 鬼 Demon”.
- Mummy = 木乃伊 (mùnǎiyī) “preserved corpse” – loanword.
- Frankenstein = 科学怪人 (kēxué guàirén). “科学 Science + 怪人 Monster”
- Werewolf = 狼人(lángrén) “狼 Wolf + 人Man”
- Witch =女巫 (nǚwū);
- Monster = 怪物(guàiwù) “怪 Strange 物 Thing”
- Skeleton =骷髅 (kūlóu);
- Bat = 蝙蝠 (biānfú);
- Black cat =黑猫(hēi māo) “黑 Black + 猫 Cat”
- Spider = 蜘蛛 (zhīzhū)
- Haunted house =鬼屋 (guǐ wū) “鬼 Ghost + 屋 House”
- Ghost Story = 鬼故事 (guǐ gù shì) “鬼 Ghost +故事 Story”
By way of conclusion, we want to wish you a Happy Halloween “万圣节快乐” (wàn shèng jié kuài lè) and we will leave you with these common expressions that you might need to use to talk about your plans for your spooky night…
- Are you going to have a Halloween party? = 你会参加万圣节派对? ( Nǐ huì cānjiā wànshèngjié pàiduì?)
- What are you going to dress up as? = 你要打扮成什么? (Nǐ yào dǎbàn chéng shénme)
- I will dress up as … = 我要打扮成。。。 (wǒ yào dǎbàn chéng…)
- I’ll be … = 我做。。。(wǒ zuò…)
Ready for more Halloween in Chinese? Let’s take a look at this scary story – A Chinese Horror Story: The Chinese Doll
Want more from LTL?
If you wish to hear more from LTL Mandarin School why not join our mailing list. We give plenty of handy information on learning Chinese, useful apps to learn the language and everything going on at our LTL schools! Sign up below and become part of our ever growing community!