Thanksgiving in Chinese – The Complete Vocab List
Many North American’s who come to LTL ask… How do you say “Thanksgiving in Chinese?”
And rightly so, this is one of the biggest events on the calendar for so many. It’s not a thing in China, but that certainly doesn’t stop us from wanting to teach you some Thanksgiving vocab in Chinese.
Chapter #1 – Introduction
Chapter #2 – What you need to know
Chapter #3 – Expressions
Chapter #4 – After the feast?
Chapter #5 – Ultimate vocab list
Christmas in China – Do Chinese People Celebrate Christmas?
Christmas in China – The Complete Guide to Chinese Christmas + Christmas Vocabulary The question on your lips… Do Chinese people celebrate Christmas? A few years ago, the answer to this question was a definite no, but in the last…
Thanksgiving in China – Introduction
In the U.S., Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November while in Canada nearly one month and a half earlier, on the second Monday of October.
In China, many Canadian and North American expats like to have a Thanksgiving feast and invite their local friends, classmates or workmates.
Even though finding turkey might be problematic in most Chinese cities, they can still be found in many of the biggest ones such as Shanghai and Beijing.
Frozen turkey can be found in international supermarkets while roasted turkey can be ordered and delivered from international hotels and restaurants.
Thanksgiving in Chinese – What We Need To Know
Before we start celebrating this holiday, let’s learn how to talk about Thanksgiving Day in Mandarin:
The Chinese word for Thanksgiving Day is:
感恩节 (Gǎn’ēn jié) = 感恩 to feel gratitude, to feel thankful + 节 holiday
Our Chinese friends might ask:
• 你怎么庆祝感恩节？(Nǐ zěnme qìngzhù gǎn’ēn jié) = How will you celebrate Thanksgiving?
庆祝 qìngzhù = to celebrate
And we might need to say:
• 我要和家人朋友团聚。(Wǒ yào hé jiārén péngyǒu tuánjù) = I’m going to spend time with my family and friends.
团聚 tuánjù = to reunite
• 你会加入我们的感恩节大餐吗？(Nǐ huì jiārù wǒmen de gǎn’ēn jié dà cān ma) = Will you join us for our Thanksgiving feast?
加入 jiārù = to join
大餐 dà cān = feast
Thanksgiving in Chinese – Expressions
• 你喜欢吃。。。吗？(Nǐ xǐhuān chī… ma?) = Do you like to eat …?
• 你要不要。。。？(Nǐ yào bùyào…?) = Would you like some …?
• 请把。。。递给我，好吗？(Qǐng bǎ… dì gěi wǒ, hǎo ma?) = Could you please pass the …?
- 火鸡 huǒ jī = turkey (火 fire + 鸡chicken )
- 烤火鸡 kǎohuǒ jī = roasted turkey
- 肉汁 ròuzhī = gravy (肉 meat + 汁 juice)
- 填料 tiánliào = stuffing or 内馅 nèixiàn
- 红莓酱 hóng méi jiàng = cranberry sauce
- 土豆泥 tǔdòu ní = mashed potatoes
- 地瓜 dìguā = sweet potatoes
- 南瓜派 nánguā pài = pumpkin pie
- 玉米 yùmǐ = corn
- 烤红薯泥 kǎo hóngshǔ ní = sweet potato casserole
Thanksgiving in Chinese – After the Feast?
- 你会看足球比赛吗？(nǐ huì kàn zúqiú bǐsài ma?) Will you be watching the football game?
- 美式足球比赛 (měishì zúqiú bǐsài) American football match
- 我总是和家人一起观看游行 (wǒ zǒng shì hé jiārén yīqǐ guānkàn yóuxíng) I always watch the Thanksgiving parade with my family
- 游行 yóuxíng = parade
Chinese Alphabet 🗣 What is it? Does it Exist? A Definitive Guide
Does the Chinese Alphabet exist? What’s the history of Chinese Characters? What are the most common Chinese characters? All your questions, answered
Thanksgiving in Chinese – Ultimate Vocab List
|Native Americans||美洲原住民||měizhōu yuán zhùmín|
|Pilgrims||清教徒前辈移民||qīngjiàotú qiánbèi yímín|
|Pumpkin pie||南瓜派||nánguā pài|
|Apple pie||苹果派||píngguǒ pài|
Now that you know all the most useful words to celebrate this holiday with your Chinese friends, LTL Mandarin School wishes you a very Happy Thanksgiving Day!
gǎn’ēn jié kuàilè!
Thanksgiving in Chinese – FAQ’s
Do they celebrate Thanksgiving in China?
Thanksgiving is NOT a national Chinese holiday. However, Chinese people are generally aware of North American holidays and traditions and would partake in the festivities with their foreign friends.
How do you say Thanksgiving in Chinese?
You say “Thanksgiving” 感恩节 (gǎn’ēn jié) = 感恩 to feel gratitude, to feel thankful + 节 holiday
When is Chinese Thanksgiving?
China does not have a Thanksgiving holiday.
Visit our Chinese National Holidays page to see what holidays are celebrated in China and when.
Are Chinese places open on Thanksgiving
YES! China does not celebrate the North American holiday so it’s business as usual for businesses operating in China.
Want more from LTL?
If you wish to hear more from LTL Mandarin School why not join our mailing list. We give plenty of handy information on learning Chinese, useful apps to learn the language and everything going on at our LTL schools! Sign up below and become part of our ever growing community!